Sunday, October 7, 2007

Musings at 39- the Hollywood question

In 1991 I was at a Creation festival and Randall Terry was preaching. I'd had an admiration for Randall Terry for his pro-life message (I'll piss some people off saying "pro-life" since it's apparantly non-PC these days, but I'll live with that) but somewhere along it way it became apparant that Mr. Terry had lost his mind.

Case in point. As part of his message (the bulk of which I can't recall because it got so off-center) he began calling Christians to ban Burger King. Why for? Glad you asked. 1991 was the year Batman Returns came out. At one point in the movie the Penguin bites a guy on his nose. There were probably other reasons Terry had issues with the movie, but that's the one he spent loads of time on. And apparantly, Burger King had Batman Happy Meal toys or something.

It was at this point in my life, at that very moment, it was like an amazing rush of insight, that I realized how ludicrous it was that Christians wasted precious time on this kind of propaganda nonsense. So, when Mr. Terry asked those in agreement with his "ban" to stand up and be counted, I was the first to my feet. Here comes the punchline.

I was wearing a Batman t-shirt. Hee hee hee.

People, people... why are we so intent on making ourselves look more foolish with every turn? We're battling windmills when we should be saving lives. And they all know it. And they're laughing.

I'm never impressed with those Christians that introduce themselves with a statement like, "We don't watch TV" or "We don't go to movies." I'm not impressed. For the most part it's just lazy Christianity, like wearing an arrogant t-shirt or bumper sticker that tells everyone how much better YOU are. Christianity isn't a list of "I don'ts", or Hollywood protests and picket lines.

We have much bigger fish to fry.

There's a lot more to that Randall Terry story, but maybe I'll save that for another day.


1 comment:

Tom Hall said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU7tiW6R44o