Sunday, August 19, 2007

Musings at 39 - The Crazees

When I was about 18 or 19 years old I was at DMV getting my license renewed. On my way out there was a guy sitting at a table, with loads of Christian literature on his table. He called me over and asked if that cross I was wearing meant something to me, which I proudly agreed that it did.

He then asked me make a donation, and to sign a petition that would make Satanism illegal.

Now, I'm not the smartest guy I ever met, and I was a fairly new "born again" believer so I wasn't loaded with ammunition. I knew that I didn't like the idea that people worshipped Satan and did witchcraft. I also wasn't the most politically savvy guy, but I knew enough that something, something was wrong here.

I told him that our country was founded on religious freedom, which guaranteed the rights of the bad with the good. I told him that many of the practices he was citing as examples (animal sacrifice, child abuse, suicide and drug use) were illegal already anyway. I told him, therefore, that I was not comfortable with where my money would be going.

He rebuked me, saying that it's a good thing that Jesus didn't just do things he was "comfortable" with.

It was that day that I learned that some Christians are crazy.

No comments: