Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Musings at 39- Time


No matter who you are, we all have one thing in common. It doesn't matter your gender, your job, your family size, your income or anything else. One crucial component puts all of us on an equal playing field.

24 hours in a day.

No amount of money or condition of life can give you a single second more.

What you DO with your 24 hours is what makes us different. Are we setting goals and striving ahead, or just treading water and wasting valuable minutes?

Yesterday I got up at 6:30 and took a half hour walk with my wife. I answered my emails, showered, ate breakfast and got to work at 8AM (an hour early as always). I left 11 hours later (YES, I work an average 50+ hour workweek). I came home and 'decompressed' by surfing the net for about a half hour, then put in 90 minutes working on my comic script, sending some reference shots to my artists, and answering more emails. I went to bed around 9:30 and spent an hour doing Sudoku on my DS, then read a couple Cerebus comics while watching TV, and fell asleep around 11:30 for 7 hours of sleep.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Clearly I wasted at least 2 hours yesterday. Some would say more than that, but that's my personal conclusion. Two hours that I could have inked some artwork, or pencilled something for Megazeen. Two hours that I could have spent bonding with my kids or talking with my wife. Two hours I could have spent with a friend or ministered, or prayed. Yup, didn't squeeze that in either.

At 39, I am realizing the desperate need to cherish the hours in a day.

Changes need to be made.

The picture has absolutely nothing to do with this post, just so's you know.

No comments: